Wednesday 26 November 2014

Things I love about Austria

ART
Gustav Klimt, Egon Schiele and so much more. The museums are a bit pricey but I can get tickets to a ballet for 3 euros. My eyes and ears are so pleased.

Mountains
Need I say more?

People don't speak English to me when I try to use German
Even if I sound completely retarded, they act as if they understood me and I understood them (even when I clearly don't) which is fantastic for language learning

There are many bookstores
I see them everywhere and it feels like people read! I don't know if they do but someone has to buy all these books, right?

Lingonberry jam
My scandinavian heart skips a beat for those sour little pearls

Cheap yoga through university
I get to go every week and try to figure out what the German word for 'tailbone' or 'kneecap' is

There are bike lanes
They exist. Far from everywhere and I still have frequent near-death experiences, but it's possible to move around by bike.

Dumpster diving
To be able to pick up food that has been disregarded by supermarkets just around the corner and then make awesome things with it (like blueberry-raspberry-banana-pomegranate smoothie) is luxury!

Nice bars and cafés
I still have so much more to explore on this one, but I've had a decent start so far!

Great public transport
Now I mostly use my bike, but I appreciate that there is metro, tram and buses that can take you anywhere in the city. No need for a car!

Humor
Actually, Austrians have a good sense of humor and can laugh about themselves (even about locking up girls in cellars!)

Architecture
Wherever you look there's a beautiful building. Marble hallways in normal apartment buildings, decorated facades...

No comments:

Post a Comment